Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Half-Way Done

Yesterday I had my 17th radiation treatment...so that is half-way done!  No major side-effects noticed, although my skin is getting redder especially on my chest and under my armpit.  Interestingly, I have a patch of radiation burn on the back of my shoulder as well...apparently it is an "exit wound" of sorts.  I'm continuing to slather on lotions and aloe many times a day.

Last Saturday found me getting up and out early...not to go to a midwifery class or music teacher's workshop, as I would have done in my previous life...but to the Cancer Survivorship Conference at Life With Cancer in Fairfax.  It was a good experience, very motivating as far as improving diet and exercise habits to maximize health, and I learned some strategies to deal with the emotional aspects of being a survivor.  It is a mixed blessing to be in a room full of cancer survivors, though...on the one hand, it helps to be with people who are going through the same things you are, and to meet women who are long-term breast cancer survivors...on the other, it is very hard to see all the head scarves and be reminded of chemo, and to meet women who have had recurrences or who survived breast cancer but now have a secondary cancer.  But all in all, I'm glad I went, and am very appreciative of this no-cost opportunity. 

This coming Sunday, October 2, I'll be going to Richmond to walk with Emma, and some members of her sorority,  in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk.  I'm looking forward to hanging out with Emma for the day, and hopefully the walk will be uplifting (and will do some good...we'll be 'creating more birthdays' as the American Cancer Society slogan says...).  Here's the link to my page: http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=22962404&pg=personal&fr_id=36177.

A huge thank you to Heather and Hope, who rode 100 miles on their bikes on September 18th, in a Century Ride to raise money for me!  And a huge thank you to everyone who donated money to me through the ride...I am so very very grateful!  Heather and Hope, you are amazing and inspiring.

So I am still feeling pretty good physically, although a bit more tired over the past few days...not sure if that is related to the radiation treatments or not.  My hair is starting to come in a bit curly! And gray!  I think some hair dye is in my future.  Emotionally, I've hit some rocky periods again...not sure if that is due to the tamoxifen, or just the usual emotional roller coaster ups and downs.  Sometimes it all becomes too much, and I feel pretty depressed...but there are happy times too.

The girls are doing well in their new school.  I am enjoying walking them to and from, with Griffin in the stroller...it's so nice to be able to do that, rather than driving down 395 twice a day.  Griffin is cute as can be, but a real handful...all boy, and getting more active every day.  My kids bring me such joy!

Well, I will post another update soon when I'm done with radiation...it sure is going by quickly.  Thanks to everyone for your continued support and concern.  And a big thanks to Sara for coming over today to watch Griffin while I went for my treatment!
Love you all,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment