Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cancerversary #2...and Hairy Business

I'm coming up on my second cancerversary, on January 18.  I'll be in surgery that day, getting my left breast lifted a bit and some more fat grafting to round them both out.  What a way to 'celebrate'.  I feel so thankful right now for my excellent team of doctors, for still being here, for feeling healthy, for being NED, and for another year spent with my husband and kids.  The approach of the day has  had me thinking through it all yet again.  I guess each passing year will allow me to feel a bit more removed from the trauma...sometimes I do feel pretty matter-of-fact about what I went through...other times the fear, sadness, and shock strike again.

I came across the one picture I have of me bald...so I thought I'd post some hair pics just for posterity.

Here's me "before", when I was pregnant with Griffin.  Hair was long and pretty straight, but had developed a tiny bit of wave especially with a layered cut.

And here's the bald one...which was taken right after my last chemo treatment:
Here's what I usually looked like back then, with scarf or hat on:
Here is me with my new stubble, during radiation treatment:


And here is a more recent shot...with my new curly hair (plus some pink sprigs):
I'm currently trying to decide what to do with my hair...on the one hand, after being bald for so long, I am loath to ever cut my hair again...but on the other hand, it's getting longer, and looking a little flat and thin on top.  Emma tells me my hair looks like a triangle.  So I think what I'll do is keep the overall length, but get some layers cut so it will have more shape.  I did get very excited recently, when I was finally able to put it up in a bun (with only a few clips to help keep the wisps up)...small victories.
-Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment