Monday, October 7, 2013

Surgery After All

Hello, blog, long time no see.  I just read my last post, from last January, and since most of it has changed I thought I'd post an update.  After many months of thinking I did not want to do the extra surgery, I then started shifting over to wanting the improved results again...and now I have ended up scheduling the reconstruction touch-ups PLUS extra liposuction!  What was I thinking, you may ask?  Well, I'm not quite sure at this point.  I don't like going under, and the last thing I need is more medical bills.  But there was a time when I was sure I wanted to look better, and felt this is my one opportunity to do it, and that I just want this to not be hanging over my head anymore so I can be finished with it all, and the longer I put it off the less likely I am to ever do it...I know I still have those thoughts, but I've just gotten nervous and doubtful as the surgery day has approached.  This has been a much harder decision, even though it's a minor procedure compared to everything else, because it's optional...but I am trying to think of it as if my plastic surgeon is an artist, and I am his work of art, and he wasn't quite done and truly believes he can make his work of art more beautiful...I really do want to look better if I can.  There are uneven dents and flat areas that don't look right to me, and a bit too much asymmetry, and I'm also hoping he will be able to fix a few scar issues...and, I will be losing a bit of unwanted fat here and there.  Anyway, my blood pressure issue is much improved with the medication, so I'm hopefully good to go.  The surgery is in two days, on October 9th. 

All else is well...I saw my breast surgeon over the summer and everything looked good...she treated me for a small sebaceous cyst, but that's all.  I see the oncologist in a few weeks, and the radiation oncologist in November, for my regular check-ups.  So far, still N.E.D. and hoping to stay that way.  A bit of lymphedema still, but wearing my night-time sleeve seems to keep it to a minimum...I really hate the day sleeves, they are so uncomfortable, so I don't wear them.  I feel healthy, most of the time healthier than I used to feel before...although occasionally I feel extra tired and stiff/achy.  Oh, and big news: the hot flashes stopped abruptly in May, just stopped overnight...instead of several intense ones per hour, I now get maybe one or two mild ones per day if any.  Weird, and I worried at first that it might mean the tamoxifen wasn't working anymore, but my oncologist says not to worry...and I sure don't miss them.

I just walked in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk for the third time, with my wonderful family and some friends.  Although it was relocated to Six Flags, instead of downtown DC, because of the stupid government shutdown, we still had a great time and raised some money to help the cause.  Each year at the walk, I have taken a picture in my 'survivor' shirt...you can see the progression of my hair re-growth:

                       This is two years ago at the Richmond Making Strides...I'm on the left.


                        This is one year ago at the Richmond Making Strides...I'm on the right.


    And this is yesterday, at the DC Making Strides...two years of hair growth without a single haircut.


That's all for now.
-Liz



No comments:

Post a Comment