Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Update from Liz

This Thursday was my appointment with the oncologist.  She let me know that the cancer is in the lymph nodes, and that therefore I need some more tests to make sure it hasn't spread around to other places.  Next week I'm scheduled for a cat scan and a bone scan, and some blood work.  She also heard a faint heart murmur, so I'm getting an echo cardiogram as well (chemo can damage the heart).  Also I will be having a port put in...that's a little plastic thing which is placed under the skin on the chest, and inserted into a major vessel. Each chemo treatment will be administered through the port instead of through an IV in the arm, which will be a lot easier on my veins.  Next week is also my chemo class...I will learn all I ever wanted to know about chemo and more.  My first chemo will be Tuesday, February 22nd; there will be 8 treatments, given every other week.  Then I'll have a month off, then surgery (a mastectomy), another month off, then daily radiation for 6-8 weeks.  And I'll be on tamoxifen for 5 to 10 years.

I also saw Dr. Hai Jin Kim, of Health Builders in Annandale, this week.  She generously donated the visit to me, during which she tested me for different foods and substances that cause me weakness or inflammation, and recommended some supplements and dietary changes that will strengthen me during this process. Thank you Dr. Kim!

I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has so generously donated money to us.  We are overwhelmed with gratitude.  So far, we have spent a little on some breast cancer books, including a few to read to the kids; a little on a Supplemental Nursing System that I hope will enable Griffin to still be able to "nurse" at my breast while getting donor milk or formula; and a little on the supplements recommended by Dr. Kim.  We are going to have to pay out of pocket for the echo cardiogram (they are separate from the hospital and so are not going to be able to put the bill on hold with the rest), so more of your generous donations will go towards that.

I haven't managed to wean Griffin yet, but now I have a specific deadline, so I'll have to get serious about it this week.  So far he has not been willing to take any type of milk from any type of bottle or cup that we've tried.  It's going to be a difficult week for both of us.

Our lovely cat is still available for adoption!

No comments:

Post a Comment