Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nipple and Tuck

My (hopefully) last surgery is over; I had the 'nipple and tuck' yesterday.  It turns out that liposuction is extremely painful!  Dr. Davison lipo'd  my hips and a bit on my lower back, and then used the fat to round out my breasts...and everywhere that got lipo'd is now terribly bruised and sore.  He also removed the right nipple, reconstructed it using the abdominal skin grafts he saved from the last surgery, and also lifted up the left breast to be more even with the right, moving that nipple up in the process.  So both nipples areas and both hip areas are quite painful right now, and the percoset doesn't seem to be helping much.  I'm taking lots of arnica, hoping that will help with the bruising.  I ended up spending the entire day in the hospital yesterday, because I had an extreme reaction to the anesthesia...I spent the day vomiting, and was very groggy...so they kept me in post-op for a lot longer than usual.  None of the anti-nausea drugs seemed to work for me this time.  But today all nausea is gone, and I'm eating normally again.  Really glad it's all over.  It's hard again for Griffin, because he doesn't understand why he can't climb on me and hug me...and hard for me not to be able to cuddle him...but just touching the affected areas gently really hurts, and Griffin is not usually very gentle.  But I should be feeling much better after a few more days.  Then all that's left is to get the new nipple/areola tattooed eventually (so it will look more realistic in color). 
So now that this final leg of the journey is over, I'm not sure if I'll write any more on this blog...I'll have to see if I feel the need to keep expressing myself in this way.  But I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been reading it, and sending me prayers and healing thoughts.  It has been very therapeutic  to be able to write about my experience.  I would be happy if my blog could some day help other women diagnosed with breast cancer...so please feel free to pass it along if you know anyone who might benefit from reading it.  I know for me it has been helpful to learn from other breast cancer survivors, both in person through the support group, and by reading blogs and books. 
Love to you all,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment