Thursday, July 7, 2011

Post-surgery update

Liz writes:

It's over...the surgery is done, which is a big relief.  I had such anxiety about it, so I'm just so glad it's over with.  It went well, I slept through a lot of the first night and day afterward.  Whenever I was awake the first night, I felt pretty miserable, especially when the nurse made me get out of bed to try to pee...I got really nauseous and dizzy.  But since day 2, I've been feeling a lot better than I expected.  I got home about 5pm the day after surgery.  The hardest part right now is not being able to pick up Griffin and care for him, and not being able to give the girls a big hug.  The drains aren't fun (I have two drains coming out from each side, which drain fluid so it doesn't build up and put pressure on the surgical sites)...they need to be emptied several time a day.  My pain is being managed well by a continuous pain pump, as well as oral medication.  I'm taking antibiotics, vitamin c, an immune booster, a homeopathic remedy, and probiotics...to hopefully stay healthy and avoid infection.  My right arm is numb...hopefully that will go away soon, probably the swelling is pressing on a nerve on that side.  I have a good appetite, and am just resting, eating, drinking fluids, and sleeping.  Lots of family members and friends are helping with the kids this week, I am so grateful for that.  Thanks to Sara, and to Kathy and Topher, for some really yummy meals!  And a big thanks to my wonderful husband, my brother, Emma, and Mom and Dad, for being at the hospital with me throughout my stay.  And thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, phone calls, emails, and facebook messages...it all has really helped me get through this!

I see my surgeon on Friday and will get the pathology report then.  Please pray for my nipples!  That sounds really weird to say...but keeping them is very important to me...so am praying that the biopsies taken from them will come back clean.  I'll post another update after Friday's appointment.

Love you all,
Liz

1 comment:

  1. Beth Youmans is a friend and PP doula and bradley instructor near gulf branch. She writes:
    Hey Tammi! I wanted to let you/someone know that I am available to help Liz out early next week. Charlotte, our daughter, has camp from 9am to 3pm, so I could do from 9:30am to 2:30pm or something shorter too ... I just need to do it probably Tuesday or Wednesday. If you could pass this along to those in the know, I'd appreciate it!! Thanks! And, have a wonderful vacation! ~Beth momma.coach@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete