Monday, May 9, 2011

Chemo #6

Liz writes:

"This week was chemo #6...just two more to go!  This second dose of taxol went much like the first one...except this time, since I had such a strong reaction to the IV benadryl last time, they gave me an oral dose that was much less strong.  The side-effects have been basically the same...day two, lots of energy from the steroid; day three through five, joint and bone pain and fatigue.  This time I've also had some digestive upsets, which I was told wouldn't happen, but I apparently am prone to that.  And, the hot flashes have started...luckily, I have a built-in way to cool off a bit, I just whip off my hat...of course, that only works at home, as I haven't been brave enough to go bald in public.  All in all, I much prefer taxol to the AC, and am actually looking forward to the next two treatments (rather than dreading them) so I can get this chemo thing over with.

This week I had an appointment with Dr. Steven Davison, a plastic surgeon, to discuss reconstruction options.  I have to say, it was refreshing to meet a doctor who dresses in pin-striped suits, rather than medical garb (my friend said he wore a pin-striped suit when she met with him too)!  He has a nice manner, comes highly recommended, and is very experienced.  He said I am a good candidate for the DIEP flap procedure, which is what I wanted (this procedure takes tissue from your tummy to form new breasts, instead of using implants...so you get a tummy tuck in the process).  He will also fix the abdominal separation I've had since my third birth, which I am quite looking forward to.  I am still very nervous about the surgeries and the recovery periods, but am now trying to keep the image of myself with a flat tummy and nice breasts in mind...it will be a long, difficult time, but the end result will hopefully be satisfying.

I had some of my hardest moments one night this week...Griffin had a fever, and was crying inconsolably for some time...I just wanted to nurse him so badly.  I think it will most likely be another two or three years (when he would have probably self-weaned) before I stop having periodic weaning-related meltdowns.  I am continuously thankful for the donor breast milk we have received (we got several generous donations recently, thanks Jenna and Laura!), and am glad Griffin is generally doing so well with everything...but it's still so difficult.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.
Love you all,
Liz"

No comments:

Post a Comment