Monday, May 16, 2011

Update

Liz writes:

"Well, I thought this would be an uneventful week, with nothing much to report...no chemo, no medical appointments.  But unfortunately, it's been a week of illnesses.  I got a fever again on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, which is always worrisome.  It eventually got pretty high, so I had to call in...but luckily Dr. D (my oncologist) didn't want to send me to the hospital again, so she prescribed some antibiotics to try to kick whatever infection it was (I had lots of symptoms to choose from, from the darned cough that came back with a vengeance, to a head cold, to a possible bladder infection).  Then the next day I had to go in and get lab work done...thankfully, I was not neutropenic, my white cells were actually really high.  The antibiotics have kicked the fever and most of the other symptoms...but I am still coughing up a storm, it is one of the worst coughs I've had (and I've had a lot of coughs).  Poor Griffin got the head cold as well, on top of his left-over cough (which is actually getting a lot better) and probable teething pain, so he's had more restless fussy nights this week.  India had a tummy bug as well this week...but luckily it was short-lived, and didn't pass on to anyone else.

But enough about sick stuff...some good stuff happened this week too.  Emma came home for the summer, after finishing up a successful junior year at VCU.  It's been nice having her around this week...but tomorrow she is jetting off on a trip to Senegal, with her boyfriend Victor, to visit his family there.  It's very exciting for her...but I am a bit nervous about her traveling so far.  When she gets back she'll be working hard at a creative arts summer camp and as a part-time nanny.

I also started out the week with a very nice visit with Kim, my friend from breast cancer support group, and her son Ben.  I can't tell you how helpful it is to talk with someone who is going through the same things.  She had her mastectomy this Friday...it went well, and she is in pain but recovering well so far.  She has been in my thoughts almost constantly these past few days...I think I might have been almost as nervous as she was Friday morning.

A huge thanks to Sara for watching Griffin while I went to the doctor.  Catch you next time after chemo 7!
Love you all,
Liz"

No comments:

Post a Comment