Wednesday, December 21, 2011

One Week

I made it through the first week post-surgery.  Sunday was the hardest day...the pain pump ran out and I suddenly had a lot of pain, plus I got very emotional (maybe related to stopping the tamoxifen for the week, which could be effecting my hormones).  But in general, I've been resting fairly comfortably and doing a little better every day; the percoset is doing it's job and the pain is manageable.  The hardest part, actually, is the discomfort in my muscles from just sitting around so much...I've got spasms in my back.  I just can't get up and move around much yet; just a trip to the bathroom is tiring.  I'm trying to start stretching as much as I can without involving stomach muscles.

Today I went for my one-week appointment.  Nurse Britney removed two of the drains, so I'm now down to one.  She removed a bunch of other things as well (dressings, staples, tubes), and said my incisions are looking really good.  The trip there and back, plus having her mess with everything, was pretty exhausting...I felt faint and out of breath the whole time (Britney suggested I try not to stoop over so much when walking, since it shortens my lung capacity...but it's hard not to).  Thanks to Mom for driving me there, and also for learning to give me my last two Lovenox shots...one more to go.  A big thanks to Marilee for giving me the first few, and walking Mom through the process!

Huge huge thanks to Kimberley, Lisa L, Adrienne, and Jessica C for some extremely delicious meals!  We are so blessed to be receiving this help.   I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice/Kwanzaa etc., and I'll update again next week.
Love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment