Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Two Weeks Post-Surgery

Today I got the final drain out, and I feel so much better both physically and psychologically...no more tubes hanging out of my body.  My incisions look good, all dressings are off and I am supposed to apply Aquaphor a few times a day to help minimize the scarring.  I am feeling occasional shooting pains in my right breast, and a hard lumpy area...apparently the pains are not uncommon for a radiated breast...and the lumpy area is most likely fat necrosis, which may resolve itself or may have to be removed by the doctor later.  But in general all looks good, and I don't have to go back to the doctor for three weeks.  I will probably have the surgery to remove the nipple, and for him to do any 'touch-ups' needed, some time in February.

I am feeling like I want to get up and do things...but physically I still can't do much, so that's a bit frustrating.  I can't stand up straight, because my stomach feels extremely tight and sore; my back muscles spasm because my abs can't help support me; and I need to sit back down pretty soon after getting up...I still get tired out after a short walk to the next room.  But I am allowed to do any activity I want, and lift things if I want, as long as I listen to my body and take it slow and easy.  So it will be a gradual shift back to normal, as my body recovers.  I'm so happy to be able to lift Griffin into my lap again (he kind of helps climb in as I lift slightly, using my elbow on my knee as leverage).  I was able to sit in bed with the girls last night and read them their bedtime book; these little bits of getting back to normal life are encouraging. 

I tried to go off the Percoset yesterday, onto Tylenol, but after missing two doses I realized that I wasn't ready...I really felt the difference, had lots more pain.  So I'm going to try alternating the two for a few days, and see if I can gradually reduce the Percoset. 

We had a lovely Christmas...lots of wonderful gifts, good food, and joyful family time.  I enjoyed the gift opening from the comfort of a chaise lounge by the tree.  It is very hard to absorb the fact that the reconstruction, and this whole cruddy year, is over and done with.  Back when I was diagnosed, the recon seemed so far away and unreal...and now it's done, my tummy is flat, and a new year is about to start.  I pray that 2012 turns out to be a good, cancer-free year...for me, my family, and everyone I know.

Many many thanks to Stacy, Maria and Steve, Kara, Beth, and Tasia, for the wonderful meals and snacks the last few days before Christmas! We have been so well-fed during my recovery...what a blessing.  I can't express how grateful I am for the support, help, prayers, and good thoughts that have been coming my way during this whole ordeal.  I couldn't have gotten through the year without it!

And to close, here is a photo to show off my new flat tummy (the new boobs are a bit hidden by my stooped posture...you'll have to wait a bit to see how they turned out!):
Love to you all,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment